I have fallen in and out of my yoga practice so many times over the years. Some months it seems like I am practicing constantly and others it’s hard to get on my mat each day or sit down for meditation. Each time that I am finding myself trying to build myself back into a regular routine I remember these 5 things and pretty soon I am back into my yoga groove!
- Start small. So many times we think that when we start something new we have to practice it for hours each day. When I first started practicing I felt like I was doing something wrong since I only practiced for short bits of time. However, when building a new habit (or reinstating an old one) it’s easiest to start out small. Try to practice a few times a week for 10-20 minutes. That will get you in the habit of getting on your mat during the week. From there you can build up to however much you want to practice each day or week!
- Build familiarity. My practice each day looks pretty similar. I do almost the same poses in almost the same order each morning and then I might switch it up in the evening if I have the time. Practicing a routine that you find familiar is a great way to help build up your habit. If you know what you are going to do each day it will be much easier to just get on the mat and start! Once you have the rhythm of a routine that you like, try throwing in a new pose or two. This will keep expanding your options and eventually you might have a few routines that you enjoy doing.
- Find inspiration. I started practicing yoga with YouTube videos as my guide and these are still some of the biggest inspirations for my practice! Find what inspires you in your practice. It could be YouTube videos, social media accounts, blogs, books, or studio classes. Bringing bits home from those things will keep your practice fresh and fun for you each week!
- Find your time. Are you a morning person or a night owl? When do you have the most energy during your day? When during you day do you have the most uninterrupted time? Answering these questions will help you find the perfect time to practice each week. For me, I practice every morning right when I wake up. However, I know a lot of people that find this impossible and love practicing in the evening when they get home. Find the time you love to practice and stick with it! Carve out 30 minutes a few times a week as your yoga time and try to always practice at that time. Having the accountability of a certain practice time will help make the habit stick!
- Have fun! This is the most important tip! Having fun in your practice will make you want to come back each week. If you feel bored in your practice you will be more likely to swap it out for pizza and Netflix. Keep adding new things, finding new inspiration, and setting new goals to keep yourself coming back for more!
I hope these tips help you build up a new yoga routine or get back into the habit!
What do you do when you are looking to build up a habit?
Are you on Bloglovin’? Follow me here!