With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
- SADASD Modern Bathroom Basin Faucet Copper Chrome Flat Mouth Washbasin Sink Taps Ceramic Valve Single Hole Single Handle Hot and Cold Mixer Tap With G1 2 Hose
- Washbasin Faucet Basin Faucet Stainless Steel Brushed Basin Faucet Bathroom Hot and Cold Wash Basin Faucet
- July bathtub Household Bath Tub, Adult Plastic Bath Tub, Thick PVC Folding Inflatable Bath Tub (light bluee, 70cmx73cm)
- Wash Basin Mixer gold faucets in The Bath of Bridge-Mounted Single Hand Gilded Brass Bath Rooms Sinks of The Water of Mixer
- White Tov Furniture The Cosmo Collection Adjustable Height Swivel Stainless Steel Metal Industrial Bar Stool with Back, Black
- DYR Faucet All bronze kitchen hot and cold faucet hot and cold 360 degree turn faucet
- Bijjaladeva Antique Bathroom Sink Vessel Faucet Basin Mixer Tap The Antique copper basin faucet antique carved plain copper cold-hot water and high swivel faucet height 225mm
- LHKJ Toilet ring universal thickening toilet cover old U-shaped V-O (Size A)
- WORKSHOP Wet Dry Vac WS0450VA Compact and Portable Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaner for Cars and Contractors, 4.5-Gallon Wet Dry Auto Vacuum Cleaner, 5.0 Peak HP Shop Vacuum Cleaner
- Creative retro raised single hole basin copper hot and cold faucet (color -, Size -)
- BEDIFY 600 Thread Count Long Staple Soft Single Ply 100% Egyptian Cotton Queen Extra Deep Pocket Sateen Weave Soft Luxury 4 Pc Sheet Set Solid color Sheet Set for Home & Hotel (Ivory, Queen)
- A White Kitchen Faucet redates in Any Direction Cold Faucet Single Handle orange Chrome color C Stainless Steel
- 2 3 4-Tier Kitchen Serving Trolley Cart Kitchen Storage Trolley on Wheels Restaurant Storage Finishing Shelves
- Bedroom Laptop Desk, Foldable Tablet Desk, Lazy College Dormitory Study Small Desk, Portable (color Pink)
- Bathroom Anti-Slip Door mat W35 x L59 INCH Windmill,Serene Vast Traditional Garden with Blossoming Flowers Trees and Dutch Tulips, Multicolor with Non-Slip Backing Door Mat Carpet
- FAJRO Horse On Anthemia Rugs for entryway Doormat Area Rug Multipattern Door Mat shoes Scraper Home Dec Anti-Slip Indoor Outdoor
- Futon Tatami Mat Japanese Futon Mattress Futons Sleeping Pad, Tatami Mat, Japanese Bed Roll, Foldable Roll Up Mattress, Futon Memory Foam, Rolling Bed Shikibuton,bluee,90 200cm
- Festool 452887 Non-Antistatic Hose, 1-15 16 in X 8.25 Ft (50mm X 2.5 M)
- VHC Brands Farmhouse Sawyer Mill Ticking Cotton Split Corners Gathered Striped Queen Bed Skirt bluee Denim
- Krysaliis Sterling Silver Box, Tooth Fairy
- Modern Double Basin Sink Hot and Cold Water Faucet Faucet Crystal Diamond Heightening Pipe Faucet
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.